Here’s my wishlist for the space combat system:
- Most shots are called. (Star Trek is usually “target their nacelles; we don’t want them going to warp.”)
- Significant situation change in every round. (Most TV engagements are resolved in a couple of maneuvers.)
- Everybody on the bridge has the potential to contribute.
- Shields take an important role, but a typical engagement results in at least temporary systems damage.
- The primary effect of damage is to take key systems offline.
- A lucky or unusually strong hit can fry systems all over the ship. (Scatter damage?)
- Maneuvering is entirely relative.
- Desperate repairs can be made in combat, but repairs out of combat (permanent repairs) take much longer.
- Damage can “shake the ship” and cause trouble for crewmembers on the bridge. Shaking, exploding stations, and so on.